Whether you have been a steward for many years, or new to the position, this 2-day training is for you! This training will walk new stewards (and those that need a refresher) through their critical skills, concepts and scenarios to become an effective steward. As new union activists, you will become familiar with your contract, learn about basic worker rights, and the role of steward as an organizer, leader, communicator and advocate in the workplace. Seasoned stewards will serve as a source of knowledge, exchange best practices with others, and learn new tactics for identifying leaders. This training will prioritize the voices and perspectives of Black, Indigenous, and people(s) of color (BIPOC) as we dive into these concepts. We invite you to learn and connect, as we build collective power!
This training will be held on October 2-3, 2023 at the SEIU Building at 525 NE Oregon St, Portland, OR 97232 from 9am to 5pm.
As a Participant, you will:
- Learn the roles and responsibilities of a steward in the workplace.
- Get familiar with your contract and other worker rights and how to enforce them.
- Learn the 5 steps of the grievance process.
- Discuss tips, tools, and strategies for being a great steward.
- Learn the appropriate and respectful terms to use in discussing issues about race and gender oppression.
- Have a culturally specific and empowered conversation with BIPOC members.
Who Should Attend
Local 88 stewards, activists, and members who identify as Black, Indigenous, and People Of Color (BIPOC) are encouraged to attend. Members who want to become stewards are also encouraged to attend. If you are not sure if this training is right for you, just ask.
How to Register
Register by September 15, 2023, to ensure your leave time is approved.