Stewards are union members who volunteer their time to represent and defend the interests of our fellow coworkers. They assist in fighting contract violations, advocate for members when they face difficulties in the workplace, and ensure that our rights are upheld.
If you have questions, concerns, or need the assistant of a steward don’t hesitate to contact your unit (shop) steward.
Find a Steward
Are you passionate about social justice?
If you have a passion for social justice and worker rights, you should consider becoming a steward. No experience is necessary and we provide the necessary training. As a steward, you learn valuable and sought after skills such as negotiation, collaboration, maneuvering difficult conversations, and organizing.
Learn how to become a steward.
- To advocate for working conditions, rates of pay, benefits and pension for our members by negotiating and enforcing strong contracts.
- To build and model workplace democracy and sustain respectful workplace environments.
- To confront and challenge when employees are treated without respect.
- To provide excellent service to the public; the best value for the taxpayer dollar.
- To have an inclusive union with members who are engaged in an effective structure.
- To build and support an educated, strong and effective shop steward structure.
- To promote open communication, including the utilization of interactive information sharing technology.
- To be a positive presence in the community where we work, live, and play.
- To be informed and active in politics, as they impact workers in both local, state, national, and international issues and campaigns.