Congratulations! You want to become a steward. Here’s what you need to do:
Sign up for and attend the following mandatory training sessions at www.oregonafscme.org/trainings. Sessions may be attended in the order available that works best for you. Bring a copy of your contract with you to the training, print or online version – found at www.afscmelocal88.org
- Introductory Steward Training
- Knowing Your Contract
- Filing a Grievance
- Investigatory Meetings
How to cover your time:
- If the training session is offered during your scheduled work hours and you do not wish to use vacation to cover your absence, contact your lead steward to discuss how to request time off from your manager to attend the training and be reimbursed for your lost time by our union.
- If the training is on your day/time off you are not eligible for lost time.
- If you don’t work for Multnomah County your time won’t be reimbursed by the employer, you will have to fill out paperwork to be paid by Local 88 and you will receive a reimbursement check for your wages.
- Fill out the Steward Questionnaire. The AFSCME Local 88 President will review it.
- Attend the next General Membership meeting to take your oath of office and be cheered on by AFSCME Local 88 union members. Register to attend at www.afscmelocal88.org
- Fill out and return the W-4 form. The AFSCME Local 88 Treasurer will send you an email with a W-4 form to complete and return.
Upon completion of the process County Labor Relations will be given notice of your appointment. Without this formal notification you are not recognized as a legal representative of the union, even if you have completed the training and sent in the questionnaire.
There are times when someone who volunteers to take on the duties of being a shop steward is not appointed. Some examples:
- There are currently enough shop stewards for a given work unit
- The volunteer has expressed personal concerns which are not representative of the union
- There is a misunderstanding about the various roles and duties of being a shop steward
Questions? Contact the AFSCME Local 88 President or staff representative.